Saturday, April 11, 2009

Somali Pirates

We've heard a lot more recently about the Somali pirates, especially since some of them had the awful luck to get drawn into a standoff with the US Navy. I can't imagine the pirates coming out on top of this one.

But some of these articles just make me laugh. Like this one that blames the pirates for not being piratey enough.
"I think when most people think of pirates, they think of Johnny Depp and the Pirates of the Caribbean," said security consultant Crispian Cuss of the London-based Olive Group. But these guys are "just fishermen paid to act as pirates by warlords and armed gangs who have taken over a lawless state."
Well, excuse me Crispian Cuss, but I would say that these "just fishermen" have had quite a year. I suppose if you want to fault them for not being piratey enough, I would start with the apparent lack of "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum." These Muslim pirates don't drink, do they?

I'm not going to belittle the bravery of "just fishermen" because it's a pretty tough way to make a living. But these pirates are desperate enough and badass enough to go out hunting for ransom money on the ocean with nothing but their boats and their balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment